Don’t be a fool. Avoid these common mistakes with your pet.
We all make mistakes, but this April, let’s take a few steps toward foolproof pet ownership. To celebrate April Fools’ Day, we count down ten pet pitfalls to avoid.
- This is always an issue, so let’s put letting our pets get overweight right at the top of things to avoid. Don’t let all that fur or “big bones” fool you. Your dog should have ribs.
- Speaking of avoiding, not going to the vet for regular checkups shouldn’t sound familiar.
- Giving your pet the wrong pet food. Talk with your veterinarian about what pet food is best for your furry friend.
- Rewarding bad behavior. It’s sometimes easier to stop your pet from breaking the rules with a little bribery treat, but you’ll pay for it in the long run.
- Walking without a leash. Yeah, yeah, your dog is so well trained you don’t need a leash. Try again.
- Leaping before you look. Take time to research the type and breed of pet that will best suit you and your lifestyle.
- Cutting class. Investing some time in obedience school will pay a lot of dividends.
- Being inconsistent. Set clear rules for your pets and enforce them consistently. Pets have great instincts, but they’re not mind readers.
- Not exercising your pet. This gets back to numero uno. Your pet needs exercise to stay healthy. It is also a great way to bond. Just like humans, your pet needs mental stimulation to stay healthy, too. Play games, have them search for things, live it up!
- Leaving your pet alone too often. This is even more important with certain breeds, but with all pets, make sure you can give them the time they need. And while they are home alone, make sure they are safe by pet-proofing your house.
Turn all these April Fools’ negatives into positives and have a great time with your pet. They make life so much brighter.