The holidays are a great time of year. We enjoy family, festivities, and feasts. However, all those feasts and goodies can be dangerous, and not just for our waistlines. Many of the foods we love during the holidays are dangerous for pets. Be sure to keep these foods out of reach. Ask your veterinarian about any other potential food issues that could affect your pets.
Many nuts, including almonds, walnuts, and pecans, are very dangerous for dogs and cats. Special treats like macadamia nuts are even more toxic. If they get into the holiday nut bowl, it could be very serious and require a trip to the animal hospital emergency room.
Grapes and Raisins
Something as seemingly innocuous as a grape can be extremely toxic for your dog. Grapes can cause kidney failure and even death.
Speaking of grapes, that holiday wine has the combined toxicity of grapes and alcohol, which is much harder on your pet’s body than yours.
All that turkey presents a real danger to your pets. Poultry bones tend to break into shards when chewed and present a painful choking hazard to dogs.
Like grapes, chocolate is a tasty treat for us but a poison for your pets. The scent of chocolate is easy for dogs and cats to pick up, so make sure you store them in places that are unreachable for your pets.
Decorations Like Poinsettia
While poinsettia isn’t as poisonous as once believed, it is still toxic to your pets. Keeping the plant off the floor and out of your pet’s reach is a precaution worth taking.
The holidays are a great time to celebrate. By keeping potentially dangerous foods out of reach from your pets, you can make sure it’s also a safe time of year for them.
From all of us at Quail Ridge Animal Hospital, enjoy a safe and happy holiday season!